Saturday 21 February 2015

lay lady lay

This week has been mega busy! And I'm blogging on a Saturday because tomorrow (Sunday) I'm on a mammoth 12 hour shift!

Monday started with playscheme, Miss Boo and I went bowling with the playscheme children who are deaf, Boo had a great time meeting new people.

Tuesday I spent on the plot


First things first on the plot make a brew and as I'm there Martha and Dolly caused a door blockage and mugged me for ginger biscuits!


An old farmer once told me if you crush ginger biscuits up and put it into the hens food, it encourages them to lay.... I  know how true that is but they do enjoy a ginger biscuit! (Not so much a brew though)

One of hens has started laying again!!


There is nothing more exciting for a hen parent to find an egg in the coop, it literally makes your soul giddy, well it does me!! And what better way to enjoy said treat:


Look at the colour of that yolk!!!

I think it's the clever lady Poppy who laid this, the white Sussex but Penny and Martha aren't far behind, I'm not sure if you can see because I couldn't get a good picture but when they are coming into lay their 'cheeks' and combs and wattles (the bit under their chins) become really red, like redder than red, you can just see on Marthas face the red bits.


As well as this, if you walk upto a layer from behind, they will crouch and stop dead (think for cockerel purposes - hussies!). These two things Martha, poppy and penny have (redness) and are doing.  However, I think its poppy on this occasion because she's been loitering in the hen house and spent a good 10 minutes telling me off on Tuesday because she wanted to go in and I was cleaning the house out!!!

On Tuesday, I also put wire around the border of another bed




The weather was glorious, the ex batts spent some well deserved time sunning themselves


Honestly, if these two never laid again, that'd be on with me, they have such a happy life now.


And then I went home - and ate far too many pancakes!!

Now, I'm not sure how other M.E/CFS sufferers cope with white flour, but for me a complete overload (from pancakes) put me in what I can only describe as an achey, comatosed, brain fogged state all of of Wednesday, I wouldn't mind I know it has that affect but yet I do it anyway!

Oh......I found out on Thursday I passed my sign language exam *insert big smiley face here*!!!!!!

Finally, I went to Crosby today with mum and miss boo and muttmutt, the tide was in, it was choppy and freezing and raining intermittently and absolutely beautiful.





Enjoy the rest your weekend, I how you manage to make it to your plots.

Bye for now & happy planting!

Xx



2 comments: